Reappointment Review of Lecturers
Department chairs are required by the Lecturer Series Faculty ARs (AR 2:9) to conduct an annual reappointment review of any lecturer not on a two-year rolling contract before deciding whether to reappoint the lecturer or to issue him or her a terminal reappointment. See below for the treatment of lecturers on rolling contracts. These reviews will be conducted during that spring semester at the end of which the lecturer’s contract expires. This review constitutes a major assessment of the lecturer’s record of achievement. The input of senior faculty in the department is required.
The responsibilities of the chair in conducting a reappointment review are as follows:
1. Prepare a reappointment review dossier that includes:
- Copies of all two-page FMER chair's rating sheets and FMER Teaching Reporting Forms that cover any period of the current contract;
- Copy of any previous reappointment review;
- CV and any other materials that the chair and lecturer deem appropriate (e.g., student evaluations, syllabi, teaching statements, explanation of service or administration, copies of publications or presentations).
2. Make the reappointment dossier available to all regular and special title series faculty and senior lecturers in the department and schedule a meeting to discuss the dossier and possible reappointment.
3. If the chair, after considering the discussion at the faculty meeting, decides to reappoint the lecturer, then
- Write a review summary that includes a recommendation to reappoint.
- Meet with the faculty person to communicate and discuss the review results.
- He or she should also be given a copy of the chair's review summary.
- Submit the reappointment review dossier and chair’s review summary to the dean for review.
- Notify the department faculty if the decision to reappoint is contrary to the majority opinion of the consulted faculty.
Please note that a successful review after two years will result in a new two-year contract and a successful review after four years will result in a two-year rolling contract.
(See c below)
4. If the chair, after considering the discussion at the faculty meeting, decides to issue a terminal contract, then
- Add to the dossier the following materials: copy of the Department’s Evaluation Evidences for Lecturers, copies of all the lecturer’s DOEs, and copy of the paragraph about the lecturer’s DOE in his or her offer letter.
- Notify the regular and special title series faculty and senior lecturers that a terminal reappointment dossier is available for their inspection and request that they expeditiously submit written opinions on the chair’s intention to recommend a terminal reappointment.
- After considering the faculty’s written judgments, either (i). Write a review summary recommending terminal reappointment and sends this summary, the terminal reappointment dossier, and the faculty’s written judgments to the dean or (ii). Write a review summary recommending reappointment and sends this summary and the original reappointment dossier to the dean.
- Meet with the faculty person to communicate and discuss the review results. He or she should also be given a copy of the chair's review summary.
Reappointment summaries and dossiers are due in the dean’s office by no later than April 5, 2023.
Terminal Reappointment summaries and dossiers are due in the dean’s office by no later than April 5, 2023.
Please note the following (AR 2:9 II G):
After the unit administrator has completed the reappointment review of a faculty employee in his or her fourth year of continuous full-time service at the rank of Lecturer, the educational unit administrator shall recommend to the dean either:
1. An offer to the faculty employee of a 2-year rolling contract (i.e., a two-year notice before any potential termination of employment), subject to the conditions stated in Section III below; or
2. An offer to the faculty employee of a terminal reappointment contract for a fifth and final year of employment. The dean shall make the final decision to either approve the unit administrator’s recommendation and offer a terminal reappointment to the faculty employee, or to disapprove the recommendation and offer a reappointment. The dean shall notify the faculty employee in writing of the decision and send a copy of the notification to the educational unit administrator (see AR 2:1-1, Appendix III).
Treatment of Lecturers on Rolling Contracts
Lectures on two-year rolling contracts need to be reappointed annually so that they can receive a new two-year contract each year. It is not necessary to conduct a reappointment review to this end; it is sufficient to use that years FMER evaluation as the basis for reappointment. However, if on the basis of the annual FMER, the chair believes that a two-year terminal contract could be warranted instead of the lecturer being reappointed, it is necessary to conduct a reappointment review that conforms to the above procedure.